I don’t have any upcoming flights with AirAsia but since I’ve had some questions on how to get a refund for cancelled or rescheduled AirAsia flights, I did my research and came up with this post.
If you wish to request a refund for AirAsia flight tickets, here’s how to do it. If you’re looking for information about Cebu Pacific flight refunds, click here.
Who can get a refund?
Before we dive into this, it is important to highlight that not all bookings are refundable. If you got your ticket from a promo or a seat sale, it is very likely that is non-refundable (and no way to rebook it).
However, there are instances wherein you will be able to get a refund. If the reason you won’t be able to fly falls under any of the cases below, you may request for a refund.
- Flight cancellation, when AirAsia cancels your flight
- Flight rescheduling, when AirAsia moves your flight with at least a 3-hour difference
- Double payment, when you are charged twice for the same booking (with the same booking number)
- Duplicate booking, when you booked twice the same flight (with the same flight number, guests, and travel dates)
- Medical cases, wherein you are unfit to travel due to serious injury, serious illness, or pregnancy of more than 35 weeks.
- Death of a guest or immediate family member of the guest.
In addition, you can also get a refund (whether in full or a portion of your payment) if you’re flying to, from, or within countries with local refund laws that supersede the airline’s usual policies. Some countries like South Korea, Indonesia (domestic), India (domestic) and the United States let customers request a refund as long as it’s within the allowed time period.
How to Request A Refund Online
All you need to do is chat with AirAsia’s digital assistant – AVA (AirAsia Virtual Allstar). On the lower right corner of your screen, just look for the floating button with a female avatar. On a desktop, you can see AVA right away. If you’re using your mobile phone, you will need to click the HELP icon first (the icon with a question mark) before it reveals AVA.
1. Visit www.airasia.com
2. Tap on the floating AVA button on the lower right corner of your screen.
3. A chat box will appear. AVA will greet you and present a menu. Ignore it. Instead, type REFUND.
4. On the next menu, choose AIRASIA NEW REFUND REQUEST. A new menu will appear.
5. Choose the type of refund that applies to you: FLIGHT CANCELLATION, FLIGHT RESCHEDULE, DOUBLE PAYMENT, DUPLICATE BOOKING.
6. Read the reminders that AVA will share. You’ll be asked if you would like to proceed. Choose YES if everything looks good for you.
7. Enter the booking code. It’s the code with 6 letters. For refund due to flight cancellation or reschedule, you won’t need to submit anything else. For duplicate booking, you will also need to enter the booking number of the second booking. For double payment, you will be asked to submit a credit card statement or bank transaction statement, whichever applies to you.
8. Select the form of refund you prefer: CREDIT ACCOUNT or ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT.
9. Follow AVA’s next instructions. You may be asked for your contact information and other details.
That’s about it! Easy, right?
The fare, surcharges, taxes, and terminal fees will be refunded to you. If you booked using a credit card, the refunded amount may take days to weeks to reflect on your bill, as it depends on a lot of factors.