Dell Gaines, the author of Black Women Business Startups, took Reid Hoffman’s (co-founder of LinkedIn) quote and tweaked it a little to portray black businesswomen’s reality.
According to Gaines, black women usually lack the resources, money, and support that white women often do to launch a business. Nevertheless, the number of businesses owned by black women grew by 164 percent from 2017 to 2018. Black women are the only racial group with more business owners than their male peers in the US.
Besides holding a significant percentage of black businesswomen, the New York metro area, where is one of the cities that hosts the most events and meetups to supports black women in business.
Among the many notable events on offer, the Sistahs in Business Expo stands a cut above.
Network and Learn at Sistahs in Business
The Sistahs in Business Expo (SIB Expo) is the only multi-city small business expo in the country explicitly created to celebrate and empower women of color.
The 2020 tour will take place in Philly, Atlanta, DMV, Houston, and Newark.
The Newark stop, just across the river from NYC, is a 2-day event starting on Friday, April 3, 2020, at the Robert Treat Hotel.
Take a Look at the Schedule
- Friday, April 3: Conference and pitch competition (10 a.m.-7 p.m.)
This full-day of training and workshops will provide the tools and information needed to start or grow your brand, ending with a high-energy pitch competition featuring some of the areas dopest #SistahsinBusiness.
- Saturday, April 4: SIB Expo (10 a.m.-6 p.m.)
The expo will feature over 100 diverse vendors, amazing speakers, panels, and entertainment, incredible networking opportunities, and the presence of over 2,000 attendees.
Stay Comfortably Nearby
One of the most important things to keep in mind when making the decision to attend a conference is the amenities nearby.
Here are a few of the top hotels in Jersey for you to choose from:
- Hyatt House Jersey City – If you’re looking to find a hotel in Jersey City, the Hyatt House enjoys an excellent location next to the PATH and the light rail. The rooms are residentially inspired, with spacious and modern suites featuring home-like amenities.
- The Westin, Jersey City Newport – The hotel welcomes guests with upscale waterfront accommodations in downtown Jersey City. The hotel makes a convenient home base for exploring top city attractions. The rooms have scenic views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline.
- Residence Inn by Marriot – The hotel features a convenient location within the downtown area and near the Financial District, city of Hoboken, and PATH train station.
Each of the rooms is architecturally different from any other in the hotel, making each stay unique.
What to Do After Hours
Looking to shake the day off and unwind at night? Here are a few options for you to enjoy with your sistahs:
- 230 Fifth Rooftop – This expansive rooftop garden is the largest in New York City. Enjoy craft cocktails outside or in the penthouse lounge.
- Mompou Tapas Bar and Lounge – Near the Prudential Center, enjoy tapas and wine before or after a Prudential Center Event.
- Hell’s Kitchen Lounge – Hell’s Kitchen Lounge is a premier theme restaurant/lounge in the City of Newark, NJ. It boldly combines comforting menu selections, an eclectic atmosphere, over the top fun, and accommodating hospitality.
Grab a Bite With Your New Connections
We have compiled some of the best brunch and dinner restaurants for you to do some networking in a more relaxed environment.
- Porto Leggero – The stage of Porto Leggero, a star of the waterfront dining scene in Jersey City, changes in the harbor light as its name suggests.
- Liberty House – At Liberty House, indulge in a meal of steak or seafood. This trendy space sits right on the water, offering stunning glimpses of the Manhattan skyline.
- Momofuku Noodle Bar – This group of restaurants is split into Noodle Bar, full of ramen favorites, and Milk Bar, serving a range of eclectic sweet treats like Cereal Milk and Compost Cookies.
- Vanillamore – A restaurant that put sweets at the center of the menu with healthy, seasonal savory food to complement.
Embrace the City and Empower Others
Newark’s proximity to the Big Apple has turned the city into a tourist magnet.
The city is highly acclaimed to host top of the line conferences and expos like SIB. Enjoy the city while empowering your sistahs this upcoming April!